Joanna is a dispute resolution lawyer specialising in Commercial and Intellectual Property disputes.
She studied law at the University of Leicester before achieving a commendation on the Legal Practice Course at the College of Law. Joanna trained at Wragge & Co, qualifying in 2003 before joining Gotelee Solicitors becoming an Associate before moving to Barker Gotelee Solicitors where she continued to practice as a dispute resolution Associate until 2013. Joanna also has a Masters in Intellectual Property Law (commendation) from BPP Law School.
Joanna acts for businesses of all sizes with a particular focus on the protection of intellectual property rights, breach of contract, partnership and shareholder disputes. Joanna does her utmost to resolve disputes through pragmatic and proactive negotiation so that the parties avoid going to court. Occasionally though the gloves have to come off and Joanna has extensive experience of bringing and defending cases in the County Court and High Court (Queens Bench, Chancery and Commercial divisions) as well as the Court of Appeal.
Examples of Joanna’s work:
- Advising businesses on how to deal with a variety of intellectual property issues including protection of trade marks as well as infringement, copyright infringement, design right infringement, passing off actions, moral rights, breach of confidentiality and database rights.
- Advising minority shareholders on an unfair prejudice claim including allegations of breach of directors’ duties.
- Obtaining injunctions for example: acting of behalf of the creator of a patent, which was pending, against an ex-employee who took confidential information relating to the patent and was sending it to competitors.
- Representing a property development company on breach of contract and professional negligence claims.
- Advising on professional negligence claims acting both for and against professional advisers (solicitors / architects / Independent Financial Advisors).
- Numerous mediations resulting in the settlement of claims before the matter comes to Trial.
Contact Joanna McKenzie
Tel: +44 (0) 203 637 6374