Sasha qualified at Pinsent Masons in 2004 and subsequently moved to Womble Bond Dickinson specialising in insurance litigation before joining EM Law. She has gained a breadth of experience in litigation and all forms of ADR in the UK and overseas jurisdictions. The range of claims she has handled is diverse, ranging from professional negligence, financial lines, D&O, construction, property damage, business interruption and contractual disputes. Finding a commercially focused and practical solution to what may be a complex dispute is a key priority. Sasha has spent over 4 years working on secondment with two international insurers and a FTSE 100 company advising on high quantum and complex disputes, often with a policy coverage element.
Some examples of Sasha’s work include:
- Advising on policy coverage and acting as monitoring Counsel in respect of claims totalling c.US 150m brought against an umbrella organisation of an international accountancy franchise. The claims were brought in the US and involved allegations of fraud, breaches of the Securities Act, unfair trade practices as well as the overarching consideration of vicarious liability.
- Defending contribution claims against IFAs in a group litigation action (555 investor claimants) concerning an unsuccessful tax scheme with quantum of c.£80m. Advising in respect of regulatory aspects of the claim and defence in commercial court proceedings.
- Defending a breach of trust claim against a professional trustee in respect of the ownership of shares in a high-end fashion brand with proceedings in Jersey and US.
- Handling notifications made under multiple policies (FI / BBB / PI / D&O) relating to the Madoff fraud, the Icelandic banks crisis and credit crunch in general. Assessing the potential overall exposure and dealing with numerous claims against asset managers and IFAs (including at the Financial Ombudsman Service) arising out of the above.
- Advising on policy coverage and Third Party (Rights against Insurers) Act 1930 issues in respect of a negligence claim against an insurance broking firm with quantum in excess of £6m.
- Defending a claim arising out of the conduct of a shipping arbitration for c.£2m including making an application for security for costs and strike-out against an insolvent claimant based in India and its UK holding company.
- Defending a claim against solicitors brought by the trustee in bankruptcy of a former client regarding lost litigation for c.£600k which involved significant conflict of interest issues.
- Defending numerous lender claims against solicitors and surveyors, sometimes involving allegations of mortgage fraud.
- Defending claims against a firm of architects in a multi-party dispute with quantum of c.£5m. The claims concerned various defects to a high-end residential development.
- Defending a claim against a structural engineer in respect of alleged defects in a multi-story office development.
- Acting in the defence of proceedings against a partnership in a construction dispute to settlement. Successfully bringing a broker negligence claim for failure to place adequate insurance when the policy would not respond to the underlying claim.
- Advising a care service provider on a contractual dispute with a local authority, including on regulatory, employment and insolvency issues.
- Acting in the defence of a breach of contract claim between an IT service provider and its client. Advising on the operation of a benchmarking clause, termination charges, issues relating to GDPR and damages for breach of contract.