February 27, 2024
Commercial Property

In the dynamic realm of commercial property, where transactions involve complex negotiations and substantial financial investments, the TR1 form stands out as a critical element which is often underestimated. 

What is a TR1 form in commercial property?

The TR1 form, commonly known as the ‘Transfer Deed’, is issued by the His Majesty’s Land Registry (HMLR) for transferring ownership of a UK commercial property. Acting as a contract between the seller (transferor) and the buyer (transferee), the form solidifies the agreement to transfer the legal title of the commercial property from one party to another. It requires detailed information, including the property address and the property transfer date, to ensure a seamless property sale process. This document serves as a confirmation that the property is duly registered with the HMLR and that the whole property is being transferred. 

Why is the TR1 form crucial in commercial property transactions?

  • Legal requirement. The TR1 form is not merely a procedural document; it is a legal prerequisite for the transfer of legal ownership in commercial property transactions in the UK. This ensures that the change in ownership is officially recorded and registered with the HMLR, which will document who now owns the land.
  • Financial safeguard. The TR1 form plays a pivotal role in safeguarding the financial interests of both the seller and the buyer in commercial property transactions. By outlining the agreed-upon purchase price and any additional financial arrangements, the TR1 form ensures that both parties are aware of their respective obligations and entitlements. This clarity is particularly critical in the context of commercial property deals, where substantial sums are often involved.
  • Compliance with Land Registry standards. Commercial property transactions must adhere to specific Land Registry requirements. The TR1 form is designed to meet these standards, facilitating a smooth and compliant registration process. Non-compliance can lead to delays or complications in the transfer of ownership, underscoring the necessity of ensuring that the TR1 form aligns with the Land Registry’s criteria.

Things to consider when completing the TR1 form

  1. Thorough completion. Accuracy is paramount when completing the TR1 form for commercial property transactions. Comprehensive details, including the names and addresses of the parties, the postal address of the property, a meticulous property description, and the agreed-upon sale price, must be accurately documented. Ensuring the registered title number is correctly entered is crucial for the identification of the property in the HMLR records. Any inaccuracies or omissions could lead to complications in subsequent stages of the transaction, or a failure to convey commercial property all together.
  2. Signatures and notarisation. Similar to residential transactions, the TR1 form for commercial properties requires the signatures of both the seller and the buyer. Signatures must be witnessed by an independent adult not involved in the transaction. In some cases, notarisation might be necessary to add an additional layer of legal validity to the document.
  3. Submission to the Land Registry. Following completion and signatures, the TR1 form must be submitted to the HMLR for official registration. This step is crucial for officially recording the change in ownership and updating the HMLR records accordingly. HMLR will then issue an updated Title Deed reflecting the commercial property’s new ownership details.
  4. Document retention. Both parties involved in the commercial property transaction should retain copies of the completed and signed TR1 form for their records. These copies serve as evidence of the agreed-upon terms and conditions and can be referenced in case of any future disputes.

Note: Under section 4 of the Land Registration Act 2002, it is compulsory to register the transfer of the whole of a property. The new ownership has to be registered with HMLR within two months of completion of a transaction. Once it is registered, the new owner will officially become the registered owner of the property. However, if the transfer is not registered with the HMLR, it becomes void.


Given the complexities often associated with commercial property transactions, seeking professional guidance from a commercial property solicitor is highly advisable. A commercial property solicitor can ensure that the TR1 form is not only accurately completed but also aligned with the intricacies of commercial property law.

At EM Law, we are experts in all types of commercial property transactions. If you require assistance with completing a TR1 form or other commercial property matters, please do not hesitate to get in touch with our lead commercial property solicitor James Williamson or contact us here.

Further Reading