Helen is an employment lawyer specialising in both contentious and non-contentious employment law cases. Helen trained at Charles Russell Speechlys before spending 6 years at Fox Williams as a senior associate.
From 2007 to 2010 Helen was a partner and head of the employment group (and Corporate Social Responsibility Partner) at Field Seymour Parkes.
Helen has been recommended in The Legal 500 Directory for several years and in the Chambers & Partners Directory, described by clients as being “quick and responsive” having “excellent client care” and as adopting “a highly commercial outlook.”
Helen acts for employers and employees bringing with her a wide range of experience in both contentious and non-contentious employment matters including ad hoc employment queries, corporate support and employment insolvency issues.
Examples of Helen’s experience:
- advising and representing a well-known national charity in relation to a disability discrimination claim and issues surrounding disciplinary matters and grievances raised by employees
- advising a PLC regarding international employment and secondment arrangements and drafting employment contracts and secondment agreements relating to these matters
- advising an educational institution regarding numerous grievance and disciplinary situations
- advising a multinational communications company throughout a wide-ranging redundancy and TUPE exercise affecting employees in several countries including comprehensive written and telephone advice, drafting the legal documents and correspondence to employees affected
- advising a foreign bank in the UK regarding a merger and collective redundancy and TUPE issues arising from the merger
- advising and successfully defending a global IT company in relation to a claim of sex discrimination arising out of his gender reassignment
- advising an accountancy practice on the employment law aspects of its acquisition of another practice and in relation to issues under the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employees) Regulations 2006 (TUPE). Advising them further regarding enforcing restrictive covenants arising on an employee leaving the practice and setting up her own business
- drafting and negotiating settlement agreements for an international development company
- advising an IT company regarding the employment law issues surrounding international fraud committed by an employee director shareholder including in relation to the disciplinary and appeal processes and regarding a grievance brought by the director
- advising a procurement joint venture regarding a large-scale redundancy exercise with TUPE implications including drafting advisory briefing notes, relevant Board minutes, scripts for the collective and individual redundancy consultation meetings and correspondence to send to employees regarding the redundancies
- advising employers and employees regarding the enforceability of restrictive covenants and practical and tactical issues surrounding their enforcement
- drafting, reviewing and amending directors’ service agreements, contracts of employment and policies and procedures in Staff Handbooks
- advising a construction company regarding disciplinary proceedings against an employee in relation to unauthorised absence and misconduct in the office, drafting correspondence to send to the employee and also advising them regarding management of a long term sick employee and potential disability discrimination issues surrounding her
- advising and settling a Tribunal claim for a construction company regarding unfair dismissal and holiday pay
- advising a medical professional regarding her potential claims for whistle blowing and unfair dismissal after she made protected disclosures in her resignation letter and was suspended
- advising and representing a senior scientist in relation to her claims for constructive unfair dismissal and maternity discrimination after she was overlooked for promotion during her maternity leave and her grievance was mishandled
- advising a spin studio regarding enforcing restrictive covenants against an instructor who had left the studio to work for a competitor and who was soliciting customers from our client’s business
- advising many senior executives and employees facing performance management at work